Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Monday, May 22, 2006

Exegesis on a Title

I decided, after a year and a half of blogging, that I should give the blog a name. The switch from modblog to blogger seemed the appropriate time.

The first name I thought of was "Annecdotes." I actually thought of this months ago, but spelling posed a problem. If I called it "Annecdotes," people who don't know my first name might just think I am a bad speller. If I left out the second "n," the pun might be too obscure. I thought of hyphenating, but, well, as if the idea weren't cheesy enough...

Then the other day the phrase "that's all she wrote" somehow got into my head, kind of like when a song plays over and over in your mind and you can't shake it (this actually happened to me when we went to Thailand; 'One Night in Bangkok' was my silent theme song for an entire 10 days. Admittedly, this was an improvement from the song that plagued me for three months, when I spent the summer of 2002 in San Fran with then-boyfriend, Mark: 'If You're Going to San Francisco, Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair.' To quote Dave Barry, I am not making this up).

Anyway, my grandma used to say "that's all she wrote" after telling me a story about "old times" and I always wondered about the curious pronoun. Who was "she?" I will forever associate the phrase with my grandma's storytelling, and, though I hesitate to compare my stories about middle school and my garden to my grandma's stories about the joys and hardships of living 97 years, in a way, our stories serve the same purpose: to share our lives with people we care about. It seems to me that "she" is anyone who wants to tell a story, and it suggests a halting end, which does describe the nature of a blog that contains mostly unrelated stories with minimal flow. I've hesitated to settle on a title lest I feel constrained by it; this title even allows me to quit blogging gracefully and eloquently when I decide it's time.

All that, and, I think it just sounds cool.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much more interesting than my assumption that it had something to do with Murder She Wrote.

I guess that reminds me of Grandma too. :)

-Daniel

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home