Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Of Course, I Could Be Completely Wrong

The coolest thing happened today. As you may know, Thursday is my birthday, and I've suspected now for about a week that my students are planning something for me. I've suspected this because, when they chatter away in Hmong during break, the conversations have been peppered with more "nai khues" than usual ("teacher") AND they frequently all turn and look at me at the same time. I'm pretty sure I heard Yer say "birthday" a couple of times, but that is questionable, since I also thought she said "potato" when she was really saying "hospital."

Today they started in again and--in this strange Pentecostal moment--I actually understood what they were talking about. I don't mean I understood everything, or that I wasn't assisted by some contextual clues like gesturing and more synchronized looks in my directions, but I realized that I knew they were planning a party for me on Thursday, and that they were making plans as to who was bringing what and when they were going to surprise me. I understood enough key words here and there to piece together the plan, and, in a crazy way, I felt bad. They have always been rest assured that I don't understand a word that they say in Hmong, and all of a sudden I'm on to their birthday surprise. Some recognition must have shown on my face, because suddenly they all stopped talking and Ying said to me,

"Teacher, you understand?"

They have never, ever asked me that before, and I was both embarrassed and proud at the same time.

"A little," I said honestly with a smile. They all smiled back at me, and for the millionth time since I've been doing this job, I was aware of what an insignificant barrier a little language difference is.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool!

I really think you should collect all of these some day into a memoir or at least an article in an education magazine or something.

Talk about inspiration!

-Daniel

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with both other comments! You are a great writer! :)

12:04 PM  
Blogger KC said...

i too am happy you made a location switch. love the new blog!

how crazy/cool that you understand hmong now. way2go.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

were you wrong?

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, that last one was Daniel.

12:25 PM  
Blogger KC said...

happy birthday, anne!!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home