Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Friday, June 01, 2007

I Was Born on May 25,1977, Which Means I'm 30

For the most part, turning 30 has been pretty uneventful. I feel the same, I look the same, I still don't have any gray hair, and those fine lines around my eyes--well, they've been around for two years already, so I can't attribute them to 30. The only thing that gets me just a tiny bit is my students constantly referring to themselves as old. It's kind of their schtik; when they can't remember how to say something in English, or when they make basic mistakes they lament, "Teach-ah, I OLD! I no say English Teach-ah, I OLD!" If they were, say, in their 60s or 70s, I wouldn't take it personally. But my eldest student was born in 1968. Now maybe I too would feel old if I had eleven children and two grandchildren, regardless of my biological age of 39 (that would be Mai Chue).

But still, I'm getting a bit of a complex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home